In today’s Ask Adam, I address a question that many clients and potential clients ask, and that should be on the minds of anyone who has been injured in an accident that was someone else’s fault: “How can I get the biggest settlement or judgment for my accident?”
There are many elements of your case that cannot be changed. For instance, you go back and change the circumstances of your accident, the injuries you suffered, or the impact they will have on your life. However, there are some things that you can control to maximize your chances of getting the biggest settlement or judgment possible in your case:
- Seek professional medical treatment as soon as possible after your accident. Any delay in seeking treatment can jeopardize your future injury claim.
- Follow the prescribed treatment plan. If your doctor prescribes physical therapy, show up. If your doctor prescribes medicine, take it.
- Call a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Time to file your claim is limited. Adam Futrell can be reached here: http://www.futrelllaw.com
- Keep thorough records of every communication you have with any insurance company, lawyer, police, EMS, or medical provider. Keep every medical bill you receive, even if your medical insurer has paid all or a portion of that bill.
- Start a diary of your situation. Write down or record videos of yourself discussing your injuries and the impact of the accident on your life. Be sure that this diary is not overly dramatic. You’re trying to capture your genuine experience, not create a moving story.
- Do not discuss your accident with anyone other than your lawyer. This includes friends and family. It is tempting to tell people about your situation, but doing so almost always hurts your case more than it helps.
- Be very careful with social media posts. Remember that once something is out there, it can’t be taken back and the other side in your lawsuit WILL get a copy of anything you post or tweet. Your claim of a serious knee injury can be undermined by an innocent Facebook post of you ice skating with your kids or running in a charity 5K.
- Know that you may be under surveillance by a private investigator, especially if your claim is a large one.
Getting the biggest settlement or judgment possible is an art, not a science. Finding a lawyer you can trust to guide you in the process and take over handling your claim is essential. Be smart, use common sense, and you can rest assured that you’ve put yourself in the best possible position for the biggest settlement or judgment.